Who is the class for:
- Advanced Lindy Hoppers 3+ years experience;
- Experienced dancers of other styles of partner dances.
What you will learn in the class:
- Classic, contemporary and newly choreographed Lindy Hop routines;
- Lead and follow techniques;
- Performance techniques based on the Whitey's Lindy Hoppers style;
- Maintaining the balance between performance and social dancing.
Limited spaces available. Please book early to avoid disappointment. It would be helpful to sign up with a partner, although not obligatory.
You are welcome to join class even if you do not wish to perform at the end of the block (but will be encouraged to do so...!)
Your eligibility for the class will be determined by the teacher. Please respect the final decision.
Angela 'Cookie' Andrews
Angela is one of the most exciting personalities on the international Lindy Hop scene and is renowned for her explosive energy and improvisational skills on the dance floor. As a artist-practitioner she started her dance story with the first generation of lockers, poppers and break-dancers. Her musical training and her love for jazz led her to search for the roots of present day street-dance, the Lindy-Hop, which she discovered in 1981.
Angela has worked with many of the great masters of Swing Dance and is often described as the "next generation" of authentic lindy hoppers. She was one of Frankie Manning's assistants for over 10 years, and is keen to continue his work of spreading and developing the lindy hop, her emphasis on the soul and roots of the dance. She is also considered to be the "protégé" of Savoy veterans like Norma Miller and others, Frankie himself stating that she was one of the 5 top female dancers in the world.
Angela has had a huge influence on the London and UK Lindy-Hop scene. She is responsible for the training and support of the new generation of UK Lindy Hop teachers and performers.
Angela’s training as a teacher and facilitator along with her intimate knowledge of her art-form, enables her to create courses which bridge the gap between the amateur and the professional. She is adept in her teaching style, gently but surely guiding the enthusiastic lindy hopper to the world of the dancer in training. Her zeal in maintaining her standards is apparent in her students.
As a teacher and advisor, festival organisers, fellow teachers and performers alike solicit Angela’s expertise in dance, dance culture and pedagogy. Her experience and knowledge in these areas is second only to her physical embodiment of the vernacular dance she so loves.
- 1994 to date: Performing and Teaching at Dance and Music Festivals around the world. e.g. Swing Crash Festival, Italy: The Swing Bus Tour, cities across Europe: Hullaballoo, Australia, Sea Jam, Singapore: Jazz aux Sources Festival and LaRoquebrou Boogie Woogie Festival, France.
-1995: Honorary guest and Patron the first Swing Dance Festival in France, The French Swing Dance Society.
1999 - 2005: Founder - The Cotton Clubbers Dance Company - a dance company ahead of it’s time uniting professional and amateur dancers to produce shows in the cabaret style of the jazz era.
- 2004: Writer/Choreographer/Director - Frankie Manning’s 90th Birthday Tribute Show, UK
- 2004 - 2006: Organiser/Promoter – Honey Pot Dance Battle, the first organised Lindy-Hop Battle in Europe.
- 2006: Teacher/Co-ordinator – Black History Month Dance Program for Hackney Learning Trust.
- 2007 - 2012: Artistic Director - Rhythm Tap N' Swing Dance Association Lyon, France.
Patron: Wuchene Dance Company, Mozambique. Swing Art Festival, Bordeaux, France.
As an ambassador for the Lindy Hop, Angela spreads her good vibe, groove and spirit wherever she goes. Teacher, Performer, Ambassador, Community Worker, Choreographer, Director… her joie de vivre is contagious!!!
For more info and bookings please, contact Angela on +44 (0)7506 272 519